Our tasting guide/guru Thomas has some words on our first OWS tasting corner:
Several years ago, the shop was contacted with an unusual commission request: a bung mallet. Ryan Montgomery, proprietor of Montgomery Distillery, a kickass craft distillery in Missoula, Montana, wanted a mallet to use on the barreling of their first aged spirits. This year they were kind enough to send us a couple bottles of their very limited “Early Release Straight Rye Whiskey.” Clearly, a post-work tasting was necessary! It should be noted that woodworkers, by nature, are often congested, and spend most of the day breathing and eating sawdust. With that in mind, here are the crew’s tasting notes, in mostly their own words.
Montgomery Distillery “Early Release Straight Rye Whiskey”
- Distillery: Montgomery Distillery, Missoula, Montana
- Specs: 2 years old, aged in new oak barrels. 90 proof, 45% ABV.
- Mash bill: 100% rye
- Color: Medium amber
- Nose: Molasses, Sherry, “lumberjack’s armpit” (read: oaky and herbal?), butterscotch, maple, camphor, “I just smell wood and alcohol”
- Taste: Smooth and spicy, but not overpowering. Crème brûlée, honey, cherry, tobacco, orange. “stings like a splinter”
- Finish: buttery, long finish
Overall, we concluded that it was an excellent rye, we just wished the bottles were bigger. We give it 8 out of 10 chisels.